Sustainability and Well-Being
The Middle Path to Environment, Society and the Economy. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
» more information about the book and how to order
The Separatist Conflict in Sri Lanka: Terrorism, Ethnicity, Political Economy. London: Routledge, 2009.
» more information about the book and how to order
Women, Population and Global Crisis: A Political-Economic Analysis. London: Zed Books, 1997.
» more information about the book and how to order
Colonialism in Sri Lanka: The Political Economy of the Kandyan Highlands, 1833-1886 Berlin: Mouton, 1983. Paperback Colombo: Lake House Publishers, 1985 and and Stamford Lake Publishers, 2005.
» more information about the book and how to order
- Review of Nikolaos Biziouras’ The Political Economy of Ethnic Conflict in Sri Lanka, (Routledge, 2014)http://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/paaf/paaf/2016/00000089/00000003/art00050?crawler=true&mimetype=application/pdf
- ‘Change the System, Not the Climate’, The Ecologist, http://bit.ly/1UWxM2c
- ‘Climate, Consciousness and Social Change’, Global Research http://www.globalresearch.ca/climate-consciousness-and-social-change/5530615 and Other News http://www.other-news.info/2016/06/climate-consciousness-and-social-change/
- ‘Visiting the Four Sacred Sites: Or how to be reborn in a realm of heavenly happiness’, Tricyle, Summer 2016 http://tricycle.org/magazine/visiting-the-four-sacred-sites/
- Review of Sujit Sivadundaram, Islanded: Britain, Sri Lanka, and the Bounds of an Indian Ocean Colony, (Chicago: Univesity of Chicago Press, 2013),
- ‘Political Economy of Epidemic Kidney Disease in Sri Lanka’, SAGE Open http://sgo.sagepub.com/content/3/4/2158244013511827.full
- ‘Facing the Climate Crisis’, Huffington Post http://www.huffingtonpost.com/asoka-bandarage/facing-the-climate-crisis_b_3362046.html
- ‘Killing Fields: Agrochemicals and Kidney Disease’, Huffington Post http://www.huffingtonpost.com/asoka-bandarage/agrochemicals-and-kidney-disease_b_3166002.html
- No to the Keystone Pipeline’Huffington Post http://www.huffingtonpost.com/asoka-bandarage/no-to-the-keystone_b_2927453.html
- “The Middle Path: Towards Sustainability and Global Wellbeing’, Development, 2012 , http://www.sidint.net/content/middle-path-towards-sustainability-and-global-well-being
- “Are There Two Sides to Every Question? Or Many More?”, Peace x Peace, 18 May 2010 www.peacexpeace.org
- Diasporas and Post-Conflict Development in Sri Lanka, Harvard International Review
- Whither Sri Lanka? Asia Times Online
- Interview by International Affairs Forum on Sri Lanka http://www.ia-forum.org/Content/ViewInternalDocument.cfm?ContentID=7468
- The Norwegian Peacemaking Model http://www.bestthinking.com/topics/politics_government/international_politics/the-norwegian-peacemaking-model
- International Intervention in Sri Lanka. Foreign Policy Research Institute http://www.fpri.org/enotes/200905.bandarage.internationalsrilanka.html
- The Bi-Polar Perspective and the Sri Lankan Crisis. e-International Relations http://www.e-ir.info/?p=964
- India’s Other Terrorist Threat. Global Politician. http://www.globalpolitician.com/25370
- The Sri Lankan Conflict: A Multi-Polar Approach. Harvard International Review. http://www.harvardir.org/articles/1725/
- International Affairs Forum, George Washington University IA-Forum Interview, http://www.ia-forum.org/Content/ViewInternalDocument.cfm?ContentID=6821
- Control Cash Not People. The Ecologist. http://www.theecologist.org/pages/archive_detail.asp
- Women, Sustainability, & Climate Change, An Interview with Dr. Asoka Bandarage by Genny LaMorgan, Rain and Thunder: A Radical Feminist Journal of Discussion & Activism
- ‘Towards Peace and Justice in Sri Lanka: An Alternative Perspective’, India Quarterly, vol. 68, Issue 2, 2012, pp.103-118.
- “The “Norwegian Model”: Political Economy of NGO Peacemaking” The Brown Journal of World Affairs, Spring / Summer 2011 volume xvii, issue ii, pp. 221-242.
- ‘Women, Armed Conflict and Peacemaking in Sri Lanka: Towards A Political Economy Perspective’, Asian Politics and Policy, vol. 2 no.4, 2010, pp.653-667.
- Democracy, Diversity and the ‘Joint Mechanism’ in Sri Lanka, Asian Tribune, May 23, 2005, www.asiantribune.com
- Apocalypse in Asia, South Asia Citizens Wire, January 1, 2005.
- Beyond Globalization and Ethno-Religious Fundamentalism, Development,Volume 47, No.1, 2004, pp.35-41.
- The Sri Lanka Peace Process, Features, Island, Sunday July 4, 2004.
- Ethno-Religious Evolution in Pre-Colonial Sri Lanka, Ethnic Studies Report, International Centre for Ethnic Studies, Kandy, vol. XXI, No.2, July 2003.
- Ethno-Religious Evolution in Pre-Colonial Sri Lanka, Ethnic Studies Report, vol. XXI, No.2, July 2003.
- Broadening the Prospects for Peace in Sri Lanka, The Hindu, 8, December 2002.
- The Sri Lankan Conflict: Broadening the Debate, Sri Lanka Express, Issue 24, July 21,2000, pp.4, 15 and in Peacework, Vol.27, Issue 309, October 2000, pp.6-8.
- Connecting Activism in the North and the South, Curricular Crossings: Women’s Studies and Area Studies pp.1-4.
- Globalization and the Social Crisis in Sri Lanka, Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka), May 21, 2000, p.6.
- College Degrees Bear Bitter Fruit in Sri Lanka, Chronicle of Higher Education, December 18, 1998, p.B8 (reprinted in Sri Lanka Express January 22, 1999, p.7).
- Women and Social Change in Sri Lanka: Towards A Theoretical Framework, Center for Women’s Research, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 1998, pp.1-35.
- Economic Inequality, Not Overpopulation, Is the Key Issue. The Christian Science Monitor, July 14, 1997, Op-Ed. Page.
- Fundamentalism and Women’s Rights, Political Environments, Issue no.2, Summer 1995, pp.1-9-10.
- Peace in Sri Lanka: Obstacles and Opportunities, The Island, August 10,1993, p.9 and August 11,1993, p.9.
- In Search of A New World Order, Women’s Studies International Forum, Vol.14, No.4, 1991, pp.345-355.
- Women and Capitalist Development in Sri Lanka, 1977-1987, The Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars, Vol.20, no.2, 1988, pp.57-81.
- Women in Development: Liberalism, Marxism and Marxist-Feminism, Development and Change, vol. 15, no. 4, 1984, pp. 495-515.
- The Establishment and Consolidation of the Plantation Economy of Sri Lanka, Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars, vol. 14, no. 3, 1982, pp. 2-22.
Chapters in books
- “Women and the Separatist Conflict in Sri Lanka”, Swarna Jayaweera, ed. Women and Social Change in Sri Lanka, Center for Women’s Research, Colombo: Sri Lanka, 2010.
- Peace, Justice and Democracy in Sri Lanka, in Road Maps for Peace in Sri Lanka, Colombo: Vijitha Yapa Books, 2004.
- Ethnic and Religious Tension in the World: A Political-Economic Perspective, in Philip O’Hara,ed., Global Political Economy and the Wealth of Nations: Performance, Problems and Future Prospects (London: Routledge, 2004).
- Global Peace and Security in the Post-Cold War Era: A “Third World” Perspective in Michael T. Klare, ed. Peace and World Security Studies: A Curriculum Guide, 6th edition, Boulder and London: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 1994, pp. 29-42.
- Women, Development and Human Rights in Sri Lanka: 1977-1987, Human Rights in South and Southeast Asia (Graduate Group on Human Rights, Law and Policy), State University of New York, Buffalo, 1988, pp. 153-177.
- Women of Color: Towards a Celebration of Power, in Patricia J. Case, ed., The Alternative Press Annual, Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1987, pp. 286-304, and in Jo W. Cochran, Donna Langston and Carolyn Woodward, eds., Changing Our Power: an Introduction to Women’s Studies, Dubuque: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., 1991-2nd edition, pp. 372-388.
- Toward International Feminism, in Joe W. Cochran, Donna Langston and Carolyn Woodward, eds., Changing Our Power: An Introduction to Women’s Studies, Dubuque: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., 1991- 2nd edition, pp. 230-237.
- Sri Lanka”, South Asia 2011, Europa Publications, Routledge.
- Sri Lanka, Governments of the World, Macmillan Reference USA, 2005.
- Family Planning, New Dictionary of the History of Ideas, Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2005.
- Multinationals, Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women’s Studies, New York, Routledge, 2001.
- Political Environments, Spring 1994, Issue No. 1., (Co-editor).
- Woman of Power, Special Issue on Women of Color, Issue 26, Fall 1991, (1990-91).
- Victims of Development, Women’s Review of Books, Oct. 1987, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1, 3, 4.
- More Than Mere Statistics, Women’s Review of Books, vol. 1, no. 2, Nov. 1983, pp. 8-9.
Selected lectures and papers delivered
- ‘Climate, Consciousness and Social Change’, Embrace the Earth Conference, Society for Consciousness Studies, San Francisco, May 2016
- Sustainability and Well-Being: The Middle Path”, California Institute for Integral Studies, San Francisco, (April 2013).
- The World Water Crisis” Panel Discussion, UNICEF, American University, Washington D.C. (April 2012).
- Education and the Transformation of Consciousness”, Center for Consciousness and Transformation, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA (May 2011).
- Population and Global Crisis”, Symposium of Gender, Population and Development, Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas (April 2011).
- Political Economy of NGO Peacemaking: The Norwegian Model”International Studies Association Annual Conference, Montreal, Canada (March 2011-in absentia).
- Transnational Activism and International Policymaking in Resolving Intractable Conflicts”, World Congress of the International Studies Association, Gothenburg, Sweden, (July 2010).
- Broadening the Discourse on Conflict Resolution: The Sri Lankan Case”, Symposium on Genocide and Mass Violence, Asia Center, Harvard University, (May 2010).
- Keynote Lecture, “Conceptualizing Terrorism, Ethnicity and Political Economy”, Annual Symposium on South Asian Studies, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI (April 2010).
- Diasporas, Development and Conflict Resolution’, Annual Conference, South Asian Studies Association, CA, (April 2010).
- Book talk , ‘The Separatist Conflict in Sri Lanka’ and reception at the Asia Society,Washington D.C. February 2010
- The Separatist Conflict in Sri Lanka, Book Launch and Discussion, Mortara Center for International Studies, Georgetown University, Feb. 2009.
- Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal: Struggle for Democracy. Panel Discussion, National Defense University, Washington D.C., January 2009.
- Sri Lanka at 60: Failure of the Peace Process and Its Implications, Panel Discussion, Asia Society, New York, February 2008.
- Challenges of Democracy and Development in South Asia, Annual South Asia Symposium of the National Advisory Council on South Asian Affairs, The Cosmos Club, Washington D.C., May 2005.
- Sri Lanka: Broadening the Discourse on Peace and Security, Society for International Development, Washington D.C., September 2005.
- Tsunami Tragedy: An Educational Forum, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University, Washington D.C., January 2005.
- Peace, Justice and Democracy in Sri Lanka, Road Maps to Peace in Sri Lanka Conference, Oslo, Norway, August 2004.
- Challenges of Multiculturalism in the 21st Century, Susan George Pulimood Distinguished Memorial Oration, Visakha Vidyalaya, Colombo, Sri Lanka, July 2003.
- Transforming Crisis: Alternatives to Globalization and Ethno-Religious Fundamentalism, Public Lecture, College of St.Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota, April 2002.
- Avoiding Ethnic Conflict, Genocide Studies Lecture Series, International and Area Studies Program, Yale University, April 2001.
- Violence Against Women: Broadening the International Human Rights Discourse, Inaugural Lecture, Public Lecture Series on Violence Against Women in War and Peace, Five College Peace and World Security Studies Program, Mount Holyoke College Feb. 2001.
- The Process of Partnership: Nurturing South Asian Traditions for Collective Sustainability, Sponsored by a consortium including Minnesota State Council on Asian- Pacific Minnesotans Black Bear Crossing, Minneapolis, Oct. 2000.
- The ‘Ethnic Conflict’ in Sri Lanka: Broadening the Debate, Sri Lanka Symposium, Carnegie Center for Ethics in International Affairs and Asia Society, New York, June 2000.
- Global Crisis and Women’s Leadership, Keynote Address, 7th International Women’s Leadership Conference, Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia, December 1998.
- Women, Population & Global Crisis, Graduate Seminar, Institute for Social Studies, The Hague, Netherlands, April 1998.
- Women, Population & Global Crisis: A Political-Economic Analysis, Public Lecture, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia, April 1998.
- International Perspectives on Environment and Social Justice, Environmental Justice Conference, Florida Coalition for Peace and Justice, Rollins College, Winter Park, Florida, March 1994.
- Prospects for Peace in Sri Lanka, Conference organized by American Friends Service Committee, Fordham University, New York, June 1993.
- Women, Population and the Environment, Public Forum, Medical School, Stanford University, CA, Feb. 1993.
- Towards a Theoretical Framework for the Study of Asian American Women, Summer Faculty Institute, American Studies Program, Tufts University, MA, June 1992.
- Women’s Progress in the Third World, International Forum on Columbus Quincentennial, Italian Television – Nuovo ERI, Civitavecchia, Italy, Feb. 1992.
- A Women’s Perspective on Arms and Militarism, International Conference on the Global Arms Trade, Sane Freeze, New York City, Nov. 1991.
- The Population and Environment Debate: A Feminist Perspective, Laing College, New School for Social Research, New York, Oct. 1991.
- Third World Women and the Environment, Conference on Columbus Quincentennial, San Salvador, Bahamas, Aug. 1991.
- The Global Environmental Challenge, Japan Environmental Exchange, Tokyo Branch, Inaugural Meeting, Tokyo, Japan, Jan. 1991.
- Women’s Labor Force Participation in Sri Lanka, Population Studies Center, Harvard University, Cambridge, December 1989.
- Feminization of Poverty: An International Perspective, Faculty of Social Science, University of Bielefeld, Bielefeld, West Germany, Jan. 1989.
- Women and Human Rights in Asia, Conference on Human Rights in South and Southeast Asia, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, May 1988.
- Child and Maternal Health in the Third World, two day Training Workshop for Physicians from the Third World, School of Medicine/Public Health, Boston University, Boston, MA, March 1988.
- Women and the International Peace Movement, Conference on Women in the Law, Law School, University of Texas, March 1988.
- Thinking Ecologically, Plenary Panel, Building a Green Movement: A National Conference for a New Politics, Amherst, MA, July 1987.
- Women in Third World Development, Keynote Address, Cultural Awareness Symposium, the University of the South, Sewanee, TN, April 1987.
- The Women’s Movement: Prospects and Contradictions, University of the West Indies, Mona Jamaica, Jan. 1985.
- The International Women’s Movement, Public Lecture, Law College, University of Bangalore, India, Feb. 1984.
- Toward International Feminism and Multicultural Women’s Movements, Keynote Speech, Women’s Week, Yale University, April 1983.
Unpublished Reports and Manuscripts
- ‘The Tsunami Tragedy: An Educational Forum’, Asian Studies Program and the Program on Science, Technology and Culture, School for Foreign Service, Georgetown University, January 2005.
- A Wise Response, September 14, 2001.
- Integrated Pest Management: A Consultancy Report for Care International, Sri Lanka, July 1998
- The Persian Gulf Crisis and the Challenge Facing Humanity, Jan. 1991.
- Development Projects for Indian Women, A Report based on field evaluations, Oxfam-America, Boston, MA, 1984.
Sri Lanka International collaborative projects
- Eppawala: An Urgent Appeal from Sri Lanka (Sri Lanka International, Tides Center, San Francisco, 2000), 27 mins.
§Climate, Consciousness and Social Change in Global Research http://www.globalresearch.ca/climate-consciousness-and-social-change/5530615 and Other News http://www.other-news.info/2016/06/climate-consciousness-and-social-change/